Sunday, May 9, 2010

Trader Joe's: Simpler Times Lager

Our namesake: Simpler Times Lager (there's also a Simpler Times Pilsner, review of that to come), brewed in Wisconsin at Minhas Craft Brewery (also home to the glamorous Rhinelander and Mountain Creek).

First things first: $2.99 for a six-pack of cans. Uh, yeah, $2.99 a six pack. Competitive pricing.

I walked by this stuff several times until one day I couldn't resist stopping to check it out. I must have fit a certain young male profile because I heard the voice of a friendly TJ's employee behind me say, "6.2 percent alcohol, man. And not bad."

Gotta say he was right. Granted, my initial impression was somewhat colored by the whole experience: taking a break from recording on a Friday night, listening to records, eating pizza, and drinking ice-cold, dirt-cheap beer out of hideous-looking cans. So there was a certain glory to it. A few days later, after aforementioned glory and accompanying buzz wore off, I cracked open another with a bit more attention to detail.

What I found: a crisp attack and a slight sort of anonymous bite (ultra carbonated) -- but overall a pretty benign and predictable flavor on the front end going down. The back end was a different animal. Something about the after taste of this beer gets a bit fatiguing on the taste buds with each sip, tough to describe but kind of like bottom of the barrel soapy suds. (I don't really like the strong after taste of Heineken, so who knows...) And it's not to the point of being over-powering or necessarily unpleasant but you know it's there. Until you drink a few of them, that is. Then the after taste is just an after thought.

Rating: 3.5/ 5 Stars.

Strong points: Price. Strength. Hipster Cred. Packaging.

Weak points: Pretty average taste. Dirty tail. Packaging.

Goes well with: Leadbelly, Bonnie Prince Billy, Best Coast, Log Cabins.

4 comments:

  1. Simpler Times was a real find for me. I like to enjoy a brew now and then. I'm not a real heavy brew guy and I find most brew's are pretty pricey. I can't really tell the different between brands, so when I found "Simpler Times", I couldn't believe the value being offered. The taste was fine and I will be back in the aisle's to buy again. $2.99 a six pack is an unbelievable value. But what did you expect from the company that introduced two buck chuck's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the comments about Simpler Times and the value. The price is in line with my budget for beer and the taste reminds me of Samuel Adams lager.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The party I had at the apartment over the weekend featured Simpler Times as the main beer and it was a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of this beer. How good can it be for $2.99 a six pack. I'll soon find out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails