Sunday, May 23, 2010

Trader Joe's: Vegatable Masala Burger

Part of the power of Trader Joe's is they get you to try things that you never initially think you'll like. Like Simpler Times beer, I walked by this multiple times before checking it out. And even after that, I had a hard time rationalizing why I wanted to eat them. But in the same manner I usually do, I totally burned out on the things that I eat week after week, month after month, and had to try something new. Glad I did, as this has become one my favorite veggie burgers. Why? Because it doesn't try to be something else. A lot of store bought veggie burgers suffer from low self esteem, trying to taste like regular burgers. And that really never succeeds. The closest in my opinion is Morningstar Farms Grillers Prime and even with those you have to load them with condiments to make them fully appealing. But with these masala burgers, you could just slap one between some bread with a slice of cheese and it'd be fine, because they taste surprisingly good on their own (although I usually have one with ketchup, spicy brown mustard, and a little tabasco). The seasoning is flavorful but not overpowering (masala blend, mustard, and some others) and the dominant ingredient that hits my palette is potatoes, with carrots and other vegetables in the mix as well. Nice consistency, too, not at all rubbery like others can be, especially when cooked in a pan with a little olive oil on low-medium (careful not to go too hot because they do burn easy). But for around $2.5 for a pack of four, they won't burn a hole in your receipt.

Rating: 4.5/ 5 Stars.

Strong points: Flavor. Cost. Unique.

Weak points: A little light on sustenance, not much protein or carbs.

Goes well with: Green cooking pan, Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi, Tabasco

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails